On March 11, 2017, three teams entered the Kitchener Waterloo Little Theatre to compete for theatre's greatest glory: March Madness. Production teams were given a short script a week before, auditioned their actors the next day, and rehearsed throughout the week. They performed a week later in front of two fantastic audiences (and our special adjudicator).
This year's show was "How to Make Friends & Keep The Boss Happy" by Karen Oddson. Team "Look Ma, No Arms!" brought us a toy story-like interpretation. Upper Class Gone Wild took the show in an aristocratic direction, and Team Vortex took us on a time-travelling adventure. There's a lot you can do with a ten-minute script and these teams brought their all.
With one play seen through some very different artistic lenses, the winner was:
- Audience Favourite: Vortex
- Adjudicator Favourite: Vortex
Our adjudicator also handed out a few special awards:
- Directing Award: Jeremy Sharpe, Vortex
- Technical Enhancement: Vortex
- Emotional Shift Award: Upper Class Gone Wild
- Character I Love to Hate: Kyle Villeneuve, Upper Class Gone Wild
- Sphere of the Play Award: Look Ma No Arms!
- Acting Energy Award: Jessica Carswell, Look Ma No Arms!
A huge thank you to all our participants, playwrights, adjudicator, March Madness committee members, and our very special audiences for making this year's event a success. We could not make such crazy theatre opportunities without you!